Quinoa En Salpicon
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 cups raw quinoa (15-16 ounces)
- 1 cup cucumber, peel seed dice
- 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, slice white part
- 1⁄3 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- I usually note and I did not. Make sure you wash the quinoa very well. It has a natural chemical on it to make it bitter to birds so they will not eat the grains. It can be easily washed off. In large amounts this chemical is toxic to humans. When the water is no longer 'soapy' looking the Quinoa is free of this chemical. Note not of any real value but the soapy water? Makes great laundry detergent.
- Make a vinaigrette by whisking together the lime juice, white pepper, jalapeno, and salt, then gradually adding the olive oil. Set aside.
- Place the quinoa in a fine sieve and wash under running water, rubbing the quinoa with your hands, for a few minutes. Drain. In a pot large enough to hold the ingredients comfortably, combine 2 quarts of water and the cleaned and drained quinoa. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, or until the quinoa is barely tender. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the heat and pour through a strainer. Drain thoroughly, and let cool. (Do not rinse.).
- Place the cooled quinoa in a serving bowl with the cucumber, tomato, scallions, parsley, and mint and toss. Add the reserved vinaigrette and toss again. Correct seasoning with extra salt and white pepper to taste, and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
AND that is the end of this. If the phone doesn't ring? It's me. If you are looking to ask me a question? I'm not here. I won't answer. I do not assure you that the ingredients, amounts or even the directions in any recipe under my two accounts are correct due to the bad directional pointer in the database that is causing problems with the amounts or ingredients. I will also NOT assure you they are correct when the site claims they are fixed. Use at your own risk. They will be correct on my site. End of story. Sigh.. OK IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR JESSIE'S KEY LIME PIE? Google the name. It's all over the net. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not. - Eric Hoffer And no I didn't let the door hit me on the ... on the way to my site at <A HREF="http://chef.philocrates.tripod.com">Philocrate's recipes </A> where at least I can take responsibilty for mistakes in recipes.