Quinoa Broccoli Shrimp Stir Fry With Plantain
- Ready In:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup boiled jumbo shrimp (I use frozen cooked cocktail shrimp)
- 1 medium plantain
- 1 head broccoli (handful or 2 of florets)
- 1⁄4 yellow onion (chopped or sliced)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -4 fresh garlic cloves, smashed (or 1 teaspoon minced garlic)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 handful fresh basil leaf (mint or parsley will work too)
- all purpose seasoning (like Season-All)
- cooking spray
- Cut the plantain horizontally into 2 halves. Cook the 2 halves in boiling water for 10-15 minutes (until color changes to deeper orange). Alternatively, cook in microwave with no water, for about 7 minutes.
- Cut plantain into cubes. Easiest way is to cut the 2 halves long-ways by making a cross cut (just like the plus sign) on each half and then cutting 1 inch slices all the way through.
- In a skillet, apply medium heat and spray in just enough cooking spray to cover the bottom of the pan. Add all of the plantain cubes and stir around for 5 minutes or until a bit browned. Remove the plantain (can transfer onto a paper-towel to pat down and get rid of any excess oil).
- Place quinoa in a bowl, rinse if needed. Drain well.
- In the skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook by stirring for a minute. Add quinoa and cook, stirring for 10 minutes or until golden. Stir in 2 cups of water and add the salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- (Skip this step if using pre-cooked shrimp but make sure to thaw out the shrimp if frozen) Boil shrimp for approximately 3 minutes in microwave, or in boiling water on stove. Do not cook all the way through.
- Stir in the broccoli florets, onion and shrimp into the skillet with the quinoa. Season to taste and add the other teaspoon of olive oil. Cook over medium heat for 2-5 minutes
- Stir in half of the cooked plantain cubes for 2 minutes along with basil leaves.
- Serve the other half of the plantain cubes as a side to the main dish. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!