Quinoa and Beluga Lentil Salad
photo by nurpinar
- Ready In:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils (he uses beluga lentils)
- 1 carrot, peeled & sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 stalks celery
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 avocado, diced small
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, split in half
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 12 radishes, rinsed and finely sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved very thin
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- additional sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fennel pollen (optional)
- Make dijon vinaigrette: Place 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, 2 cloves garlic, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard in a jar and cover tightly; shake well and set aside until ready to use.
- Rinse quinoa in cold water. Place in a heavy-bottom saucepot and add 1/2 teaspoons salt and the broth. Bring to a simmer over low heat, cover and cook until broth has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Qinoa should be fluffy and plump.
- Place lentils, 3 cups water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and vegetable bouquet garni (made by tying the carrot, celery and parsley together with twine) in a medium saucepot. Bring to a simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender and water has been absorbed. Cool.
- Place quinoa and lentils in a bowl and dress with Dijon vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then transfer to a serving platter.
- Combine all remaining vegetables and herbs in a mixing bowl, dress with lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper, to taste, and fennel pollen (if desired). Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!