Quick Tomato-Basil Pasta With Fresh Mozzarella
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Look for fresh mini mozzarella balls in the gourmet cheese section of your supermarket. This is an easy meal to prepare, and a delicious one ot eat!! Campanelle can also be used for the pasta.
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- table salt
- 1 lb fusilli
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella balls, mini, drained and cut in half
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, and pepper flakes in medium saucepan over medium heat until fragrant but not brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in crushed and diced tomatoes, bring to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, 15-20 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons basil, sugar and 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Add 1 tablespoons salt and pasta to boiling water. Cook until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, drain pasta, and transfer back to pot. Stir in sauce and remaining tablespoons oil, and cook over medium heat until heated through (adding reserved water if pasta seems dry), about 1 minute. Stir in mozzarella and season with salt. Serve, sprinkling with remaining 2 tablespoons basil and Parmesan.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a delicious pasta meal - I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned and it was incredible! The mozzarella balls that I got at Costco were already marinated but I still added the fresh basil to the tomatoes. I heated the oil then added two whole cloves of garlic with the red pepper flakes but removed the garlic bevore adding the tomatoes. Will definitely prepare this again, we didn't really require a meat with this but grilled chicken, tuna or shrimp would be wonderful. I used a thick spaghetti noodle ( pici like) instead of the fusilli.Reply
I love this sort of thing, and it was good. I used penne since my store did not have fusilli, and I only added about half the can of the diced tomatoes since my kid is not a fan of tomato chunks. The mini mozzarella balls made it interesting too. ( I told them they were marshmallows...) Thanks!Reply