Quick Pickled Beets
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 16mins
- Layer the beets and onion in a bowl or refrigerator container and set aside.
- In a 2-cup measure, mix the reserved beet juice (adding water to make 1/2 cup, if necessary), vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Microwave on High 2 minutes or until the mixture is hot and the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the hot mixture over the beets and onion.
- Cool, then refrigerate, covered, for at least 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Keeps well in the refrigerator for at least a week.
- To prepare the beets: Wash 4 medium beets, unpeeled and with at least 1" of stem left on.
- Place in a bowl with 1/4 cup water.
- Cover and microwave at High for 10 to 12 minutes or until fork tender, rearranging twice during cooking.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Drain, reserving the cooking liquid.
- Refresh the beets with cold water, then peel and slice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>