Quick Garlic Naan for the Grill (Breadmachine)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1⁄3 cup vegan sour cream or 1/3 cup soy yogurt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 head roasted garlic (I roast mine in the toaster oven for about 25 minutes, wrapped in oil-greased foil)
- coconut oil, extra for brushing naan
- Squeeze out roasted garlic and mash into paste.
- Add water, agave, oil, yogurt or sour "cream", garlic paste, flour, salt, and yeast to bread machine and set to dough setting. Do not allow to rise.
- NOTE: I am at high elevation in a very dry climate, and tend to need more water (I usually use about 1 1/4 cups for this recipe); you can check dough after 5-10 minutes to make sure it is smooth and slightly tacky. If it is crumbly, add a bit more water.
- After dough has been kneaded fully, remove from bread machine and cut into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, then cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll out each piece of dough with a rolling pin into an oval and coat both sides with oil. (You can stack the rolled out pieces on a plate once they have been oiled).
- Grill over medium fire for 2-3 minutes on the first side until bottom is browned and top begins to puff up, and 1-2 minutes on the second side until browned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm an ethical vegan, atheist, wife and stay-at-home mother of a 7 year old DD and 1 year old DS. I have also been known to hug a tree from time to time, but I don't do it professionally. I love life, walk around in awe of the universe, and am always made happier by things that smell delicious. Like pumpkin pie spice. And turmeric. We've been vegan since Fall '08, and are just starting to feel like we know the tricks of the trade...and Recipezaar has certainly made the transition easier. Yey Recipezaar!