Quick + Easy Instant Pot Pot Roast
Make pot roast fit for an elegant dinner party for a weeknight meal. This healthy dish is ready in about an hour.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 lb small potato
- 3⁄4 lb carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode, add beef and sear for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add garlic, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, tomato paste and beef broth.
- Top beef with potatoes and carrots.
- Cover and lock the lid in place. Place the vent to the sealing position and set to manual on high pressure for 40 minutes. When the cook time is done, allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Release remaining pressure and remove the lid. Using a slotted spoon, transfer carrots and potatoes to a serving dish. Transfer pot roast to same dish and garnish with parsley.
- If a gravy is desired, set the pot to saute mode and bring cooking liquid to a simmer. Mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cooking liquid. Add the cornstarch mixture back to the simmering liquid; cook and stir until thickened. Spoon some of the gravy over the pot roast before serving.
- Serves: 6; Calories: 342; Total Fat: 8 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Total Carbohydrate: 19 grams; Sugars: 4 grams; Protein: 45 grams; Sodium: 538 milligrams; Cholesterol: 123 milligrams; Fiber: 4 gram.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Hi! This recipe is for only 2-1/2 lb beef chuck roast. I usually make more than that because the beef usually shrinks up a lot. If I wanted to cook say, a 5 lb roast, is it just doubling the ingredients? I know that the pressure cooker/Instant Pot, doesn't need a lot of liquid, so I wasn't sure of doubling the recipe. AND, what about the cook time in the pressure cooker? Thanks!1Reply
In my opinion the best pot roast recipe for a crock pot is Mississippi pot roast. Makes the best gravy too. I did this in my instant pot last weekend and the best thing is that I could brown the meat first, then set it for slow cooker without using another pan. In fact, it wasn't getting cooked fast enough, so I set it on pressure cooking for 20 minutes, then back to slow cooking and everything was perfect. For Mississippi potroast in a slow cooker, put in the meat, onions if you use them, one packet of au jus mix, one packet of ranch dressing mix and half a stick of butter, all dumped on top of the meat. I usually put in about half a cup of water too, but you don't have to, the meat will make enough juice of its own. Cook for at least 6 hours, mostly on high and switch to low near the end. You'll probably have to pour the liquid into another pan to make the gravy, I've never been able to get it to thicken in the slow cooker. Hence the instant pot, you can do it all in there.2Reply
see 10 more