Quick and Easy Cream Biscuits
- Ready In:
- 2 cups unbleached flour, plus extra
- unbleached flour, for the counter
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450°F Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Stir in the cream with a wooden spoon until dough forms, about 30 seconds, Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and gather into a ball. Knead the dough briefly until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Shape the dough into a 3/4 inch thick circle. Cut biscuits into rounds or wedges. Place rounds or wedges or parchment-lined baking sheet. (the baking sheet can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 hours). Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking.
- FYI Unlike traditonal biscuits, cream biscuits benefit from relatively rough treatment. A biscuit that was kneaded for 30 seconds before baking rose higher than a biscuit that was gently handled.
Join The Conversation
What a wonderful recipe! The biscuits came together so quickly and easily and tasted great! They were fluffy and flaky on the inside with a nice crunchy outside. We loved them! :) The taste was yummy, too. I reduced the salt to 1/8 ts and used a vegan cream substitute, but they still came out wonderful! I had to add in a good tag more flour to make the dough workable, though.<br/>THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a real keeper, Chef mariajane!
These were great! They rose nice and tall, were easy to separate and weren't crumbly. What I like about them is they aren't as salty and heavy on the baking powder flavor that typical biscuits have. Perfectly suited to my taste! Thanks mariajane! With additional sugar, I bet these would be outstanding shortcakes to serve with strawberries and whipped cream. Yum