Quick and Easy Black Eyed Pea Salad
One of a few winners of Cooking Light Magazine's Ultimate Reader Recipe Contest, Jan/Feb 2010. So good! This is a great vegetarian lunch or a perfect pack and go side dish for a pot luck!
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (I used Seasoning Salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar (I added a little extra)
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes (I used roma tomatoes)
- 1 cup diagonally cut green onion (about 4 green onions)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped of fresh mint (I omit the mint, but that's up to you)
- 1 (15 7/8 ounce) can black-eyed peas (rinsed and drained)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Prepare dressing by mixing together first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended.
- Place all of salad ingredients in a large bowl, drizzle dressing over the top and toss well.
- Cover and chill.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I combined the dressing ingredients together for this recipe, gathered the salad ingredients, then realized I did not have a can of black eyed peas. The dressing was already made, other ingredients chopped, so I decided to sub a can of chickpeas for the black eyed peas. The dressing is so good in this that I do believe you could use any kind of pea or bean you wantin this salad. Allowed to marinate a few hours in the frige to combine the flavors, this is one awesome salad. I loved the use of the mint and would not leave it out. The combination of colors and flavors is wonderful. I used only one large clove of garlic and felt it was plenty. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe, JanuaryBride!1Reply
Very good - actually the 1st time I've made a BEPea salad! I did not include the mint as I don't care for the flavor too much, but I didn't miss it. Thought the flavor was great and DH loved it chilled, while I liked it better at room temperature. Thanks for posting this quick and easy recipe, I'll be making it again. Made for ZWT7 AFRICA and the HOT PINK LADIES!1Reply
see 6 more