MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In 'Quick-Fix Southern' by Rebecca Lang
- Ready In:
- vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- cayenne pepper, a dash
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 (4 ounce) quail
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked rice, for serving
- Pour the vegetable oil to a depth of 1/4 inch in a 13-inch skillet with a lid.
- Heat over medium heat until a pinch of flour sizzles when sprinkled in (about 4 minutes).
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, oregano, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper in a medium bowl.
- Dredge the quail in the flour, and then reserve the flour.
- Add the floured quail to the hot oil and fry for about 5 minutes, turning to brown all sides.
- Remove the quail to a plate.
- Turn off the heat and carefully pour off all but 1/4 cup of the hot oil.
- Return the skillet to med-low heat.
- Add the reserved flour to the oil in the skillet.
- Stirring constantly to scrape up any browned bits in the pan, cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth.
- Return the quail to the skillet, decrease heat to low, and cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust with salt and pepper.
- Serve with cooked rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION