- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons fine almond flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- food coloring (pink, green, purple, grey, tan)
- vanilla frosting
- Combine the confectioners sugar and almond flour in a fine mesh sieve and sift together into a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites at medium speed until foamy, and then add the sugar. Continue to whip at medium speed until stiff and glossy.
- Take 1/3rd of the egg whites and add to the sugar-almond mixture, until it is all moistened, and then fold in the remaining egg whites. The mixture will loosen and deflate. Fold until it is a sticky batter, like a boxed cake mix. Separate into four bowls. Tint each one with a different color and stir inches Transfer to piping bags.
- Cut 1⁄4 inch opening into pastry tip, and then pipe mounds the size of a quarter, at least two inches apart. Pipe the entire sheet pan in desired colors before moving to next step.
- Rap the pan to release any bubbles. Pipe small dollops to create pusheen’s ears onto each macaron. Go back over each with a toothpick, and refine the shape.
- Allow the macarons to dry for a minimum of 30 minutes, until they have a dull outside shell. If it is humid, it may take longer.
- Bake the macarons, one sheet at a time, in the center of the oven for 12 minutes. Rotate halfway through cooktime. Remove and allow to cool before removing.
- To decorate, combine confectioners sugar and water. Tint royal icing in desired colors and pipe onto macarons. Decorate pusheen designs onto half of the macarons.
- Assemble the macarons by piping 1 teaspoon buttercream onto flat side of the undecorated macarons. Sandwich together with decorated faces.
- TIP: Dry near a fan or air conditioner to speed process.
Questions & Replies
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!