Pumpkin Spice Cake With Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- Ready In:
1 bunt cake
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup skim milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners' sugar (4 cups)
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons fat free sour cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- orange food coloring, paste orliquid
- Lightly coat a nonstick or stick resistant bunt cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk dry cake mix together with spices and soda in large mixing bowl until well combined.
- In a smaller bowl whisk milk together with egg whites, pumpkin and vanilla until combined.
- Pour liquid ingredients into mixing bowl and mix all ingredients together on medium speed of an electric mixer for 3-4 minutes until well blended.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth out top.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Remove cake from oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Invert cake pan on rack.
- Remove pan from cake and finish cooling.
- After cake has cooled completely, drizzle/pour frosting over cake and top with decorative holiday candies or sprinkles.
- For frosing: Whisk or mix all ingredients together until well blended.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons additional orange juice if you are planning to drizzle frosting.
- Frosting drizzling consistency should be a little thinner than frosting you plan to spread with a knife.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am married and have three children ages 9 to 16. I work full-time so between work and attending as many school functions as I can possibly fit in, I have little time to prepare "gourmet" type dishes which require a lot of preparation time. I like tasty, quick-fix meals that use ingredients that are usually in my house and don't require an extra trip to the store. When I'm not waiting on my family or working, I like to do counted cross-stitch and recently started a new hobby----quilting.