Pumpkin Soup With Crispy Sage Garnish
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs pumpkin or 3 lbs squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sweet white onion
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and cut length-wise
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 small red Thai chile or 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups chicken stock
- 12 fresh sage leaves, large
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix pumpkin cubes with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 25 minutes, or until nearly tender when pricked with a fork.
- Meanwhile, coat the onion slices and the garlic with the 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Add to pan and return to the oven for about 15 minutes longer, or until the pumpkin and onion are tender.
- Put all the vegetables in a large pot.
- Add cardamom, cinnamon, chili and stock to the pot and bring to a simmer over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the pumpkin cubes begin to dissolve.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and process until smooth, working in batches if necessary.
- Return soup to the saucepan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a saucepan over high heat until the handle of a wooden spoon bubbles when inserted.
- Place the sage leaves individually into oil and fry for about 1 minute, or until crisp.
- Remove to kitchen towel with a slotted spoon.
- Ladle into warm soup bowls and garnish with crispy sage leaves. Serve at once.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I enjoy cooking. A lot. <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p>