Pumpkin Seed Arugula Pesto Sauce (Vegan)
A mouthwatering selection from ExtraVeganZa, posted as written that makes a nice change for pasta dishes and pizzas from the traditional basil and walnut pesto. Add some nutritional yeast for cheeziness factor since this lacks parmesan or asiago cheese.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw pepitas (green pumpkin seeds, toasted recommended)
- 3 1⁄2 cups arugula, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- Toast the pumpkin seeds by placing them in a skillet on medium heat until they start to brown a bit. (Or by placing in a baking dish in the oven at 475F for 8-10 minutes.).
- Place the toasted seeds in a food processor and grind until fine.
- Add the garlic and salt then pulse again.
- While the food processor is running, add handfuls of arugula and parsley through the top opening of the machine.
- Keep adding as these get blended in until all of the greens are incorporated.
- Pour the oil through the top opening and continue blending.
- You might have to stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the food processor.
- Add more salt or oil to reach your desired flavor, then scoop the sauce into a jar, it will keep for about a week.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
WOW! This stuff is spoon-licking good, and what a striking green color! I've never had a pesto like this - very unique flavor and you can taste the pumpkin seeds! When toasting them on the stove, some popped like firecrackers which added some excitement to our evening. Note that when you make this your house will smell like the toasted pumpkin seeds...mmmm...great for fall or any time of year. On first taste, something was missing so I did add shaved mozzarella and a little more salt and that made all the difference (so vegans may want to have the substitute you mention on hand).Reply