Pumpkin Pudding (Budin De Calabaza)
This is a recipe from Puerto Rico. They enjoy pudding as a light but special ending to a meal. This popular dessert is a medley of pumpkin, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons rum
- In a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the pumpkin, sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon, salt and cloves. Add eggs; lightly beat eggs into pumpkin mixture with a fork. Add milk; mix well.
- Place a 10 x 6 x 2 inch baking pan in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan on an oven rack. Pour in the pumpkin mixture. Pour hot water into the outer pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake in a 350 degree oven about 45 minutes or till knife inserted comes out clean. Cool pudding; chill.
- Combine whipping cream and rum. Beat till soft peaks form. Spoon pudding into 8 dessert dishes. Dollop each with whipped cream mixture.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I loved this!! I sub'd honey for the sugar, and baked it about an extra 10-15 mins as it didn't set up enough in the prescribed time (probably b/c of the added liquid in the honey). The result was a substantial, hearty, yet fluffy custard with an earthy, rich taste. It was a great addition to my family's Christmas dinner and I can't wait to make it again.
I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I really enjoyed this. It tasted like pumpkin pie filling minus the crust. I made a half recipe, using just 1 egg plus some ground flax (I ran out of eggs but the flax box says you can use it as a substitute). I also used Cool Whip instead of the rum topping. I did bake it an extra 10 minutes...it just didn't seem done enough when the timer went off.
Tagged in Everyday is a Holiday. I had to make this gluten/diary free, using rice flour, Earth Balance, rice milk and no whip. cream (so no rum). I used 3 jumbo eggs and some leftover pumpkin pie filling (I accidentally bought that instead of plain pumpkin). So I only added 1/2 C brown sugar. Not sure if it was all my changes, but it took 1 3/4 hours in my oven to firm up, but once cooled a bit (we ate it warm) it was yummy. I'm on my 2nd serving. Tastes like pumpkin pie without the crust.