Pumpkin Pecan Layer Cake
photo by Swirling F.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (18 ounce) package spice cake mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup caramel topping
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, mix crushed wafers, chopped pecans and 3/4 cup butter.
- Beat at medium speed until crumbly; about 2 minutes.
- Divide mixture into 3 equal portions.
- Press each portion into one of three greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Using the same bowl, combine the cake mix, pumpkin, 1/4 cup butter and eggs.
- Beat at medium speed until well mixed.
- Spread 1 3/4 cup batter over crumbs in each pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool for about 5 minutes; remove from pans onto cooling racks until cooled completely.
- In bowl combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- On serving plate, layer 3 cakes (nut side down) with 1/2 cup filling spread between each layer.
- Frost SIDES of cake only with remaining frosting.
- Spread caramel topping over top of cake, drizzling some over the frosted sides.
- Arrange pecan halves in rings on top of cake.
- Store in refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This truly is a fabulous pumpkin cake Kim. Really good, rich and filling. You certainly don't need a very big piece to get your sweet fix. I choose to omit the caramel syrup as a drizzle and it was still plenty sweet. A wonderful birthday cake for DS#3. Glad I tagged and thanks for posting this wonderful delight. Made for BevyTag!
I would SO love to give this more than 5 starts. Much easier then one would think and the end result is absolutely delicious. I was afraid it would be overwhelming or to rich, but I was happily suprised by the lightness. IF and that's a big if, I were to do anything different it would be to double the filling as to have more for decorating purposes. Congrats on your football pool win and Thank you so much for sharing a recipe that is going into my "over the top" cookbook.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Molson 6/13/1993 - 1/2/2007 <br /><br />You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us. ~Robert Louis Stevenson <br /><br /><br /><br />PARTICIPATION BANNERS: <br /><img src=http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/officialmemberofthebevtaggame.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/calendar%20clips/Copyofsoybean.jpg border=0 alt=tag /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-Kim.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2237/2417939508_a2fe6ca1d6.jpg?v=0 alt=Rosemary Herb for January 2008 /> <img src=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2140/2418175268_0be79b1528.jpg?v=0 alt=Cumin Herb for February 2008 /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/garden%20forum%20sage.JPG alt= /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cinnamonchallenge.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3070/2821533761_69a8a5ea82.jpg?v=0 alt= /> <br /><a href=http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/starrynews/?action=view?t=oregano1.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y80/starrynews/oregano1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/akplongmeadow/AdoptATag2-2-1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p>