Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
photo by Babs7
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 25mins
- 1 (29 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves, sifted
- 3 (7 g) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 ready made graham cracker pie crusts
- In large sauce pan (4 quart size) combine; pumpkin, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and gelatin.
- Stir in separated egg yolks until well combined.
- Stir in one can of evaporated milk.
- Over medium heat, stirring constantly, heat to boiling.
- Remove from heat and stir in second can of evaporated milk (to cool the mixture).
- Stir occasionally to keep skin from forming and to aid in cooling (cool to lukewarm).
- In a large glass or metal bowl (not plastic) beat egg whites until soft peaks form and set aside.
- In small sauce pan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and water.
- Bring to a boil and cook to soft ball stage.
- With beaters mixing the egg whites, pour hot syrup in a thin stream into the beaten egg whites.
- Continue to beat for 5 minutes.
- Fold together the pumpkin mixture and egg white mixture until no streaks of white can be seen.
- Cool until mixture will mound when dropped from spoon.
- Spoon into pie shells.
- Refrigerate so gel can set.
- Will make filling for three 9 inch pies.
- Top with Cool Whip or whipped cream and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!