Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
- 1 - 1 1⁄4 lb pumpkin
- 3 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups dairy eggnog
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 8 -10 ounces French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes(8 cups)
- 10 pieces vanilla caramels
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon anise seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rum flavoring
- Preheat oven to 350*.Cut pumpkin into quarters; remove seeds.Discard seeds or save for roasting.Place pumpkin, cut side down, on a lightly greased baking pan.Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until almost tender.Remove peel; cut baked pumpkin into 3/4 inch pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together milk, eggnog, eggs, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice.sprinkle raisins on bottom of an ungreased 3 qt. rectangular baking dish.Spread bread over raisins.Pour egg mixture evenly over bread.
- Carefully stir in cubed pumpkin.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the pudding is puffy and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool pudding slightly (pudding will fall in center). Drizzle with Warm Caramel Sauce. Makes 12 servings.
- Warm Caramel Sauce: In a heavy saucepan melt caramel squares with whipping cream over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Stir in anise seed and rum flavoring, if desired.
- Cool slightly before serving Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!