Pumpkin Apple Tart
photo by YummySmellsca
- Ready In:
1 11 inch tart
- 1 lb cooking apple, cored and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh pumpkin, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
For Pumpkin-Apple Filling:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss apples, pumpkin and lemon juice in a large casserole dish, cover and bake for 2-2 ½ hours, until very soft.
- Allow to cool slightly, then add apples, pumpkin and any liquid to a food processor and puree completely, making sure peels are finely ground. Alternatively, use a food mill to remove the peels and seeds.
- Scrape back into the casserole dish, re-cover and bake another 1 ½ hours, stirring halfway through.
- Remove the lid and bake a further 30-40 minutes, stirring every 15-20 minutes, until very thick.
- Cool to room temperature (or cover and chill until needed – up to 1 week).
- When ready to use, add cinnamon, sugar, cornstarch, tapioca starch and egg yolk, mixing well with a spatula. Set aside while preparing pastry.
- Cream the cream cheese, shortening, and sugar until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Beat in flours, flax seed, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon until well blended, adding milk as necessary to for a stiff but cohesive dough.
- Shape into a disc and wrap tightly in plastic. Chill at least 2 hours, until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Between sheets of waxed paper, roll the dough into an approximately 15” round.
- Flip into a greased 11” tart pan with a removable bottom set on a baking sheet, pressing into the sides. Trim the edges.
- Dock dough with a fork, then line the shell with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove the weights and foil and bake for about 5 minutes, or until the base of the shell is golden.
- Transfer to a rack and cool 30 minutes. Leave oven on.
- Spread the apple-pumpkin mixture into the tart shell.
- Starting at the outside, overlap the apple slices in concentric circles over the pumpkin filling. Sprinkle with the raw sugar.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until the apples are tender and golden and the custard is set in the centre.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Montessori teacher, nutritionist and pastry chef: baking is my passion, but teaching the value of good food to whole families is close to my heart too! I have a passion for re-instilling the love of good-quality, home-made and mostly healthy food into the hearts and kitchens of children and their families today. I believe that any ?homemade? food, even when labelled as naughty, is a more wholesome treat than pre-packaged, cookie-cutter junk.</p> 9408826"