Puerto Rican Pineapple Rum Cake
photo by alligirl
- Ready In:
For the glaze and the pineapples
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark rum
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 pineapple, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
For the cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pecans
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
Make the glaze and pineapples:
- In a small saucepan over moderate heat, combine the brown sugar and 1 cup rum, and bring to a simmer. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until reduced by about 1/3. Whisk in the butter. Add the pineapple slices, gently stirring to coat them in the glaze, then let them sit for about 3 minutes. Transfer the pineapple slices to the bottom of a 9-inch square cake pan, arranging them to cover the bottom. Save the rum glaze for serving.
Make the cake:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat on medium until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla and rum, and beat for 30 seconds. Fold in the flour and salt. Scrape the batter (it will be thick) over the pineapples in the pan. Sprinkle the pecans over the batter and bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let the cake cool on a rack for 15 minutes then flip it onto a serving plate so that the pineapples are on top.
- Note, this cake can be baked in advance, covered, and kept at room temperature up to 10 hours.
- In a small saucepan over moderate heat, combine the rum glaze and the remaining 1/2 cup rum and warm until heated through. Cut the cake into squares and serve with vanilla ice cream and warm rum glaze.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Fab-U-Lous! I cheated and just soaked the syrup into the cake; who needs ice cream? Not us! The cake is moist and tropical, but the dark rum gives it a subtle edge over other rum cakes I've made/tasted! Oh, my pan was an 8 X 8 glass dish and it worked out just fine, with no adjustments. Thanks for sharing, CaliforniaJan!
Yummy cake! Love pineapple upside down cake, but it is always a bit bland for me. Not this! Pineapple Upside Down Cake On Steroids! It'a good boozy cake, and the nuts and coconut put it over the top. I poked holes in the cake 10 minutes after it came out of the oven (pecan side) and poured the rest of the rum sauce on it to soak in. Let it soak for another 10-15 minutes before inverting. Yummo! TY! :)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a native Californian, born in the Los Angeles area, college in far northern California and now living in southern part of the San Francisco Bay Area. I love kids and animals. I am an active volunteer at my two teenage daughters' high school as well as a Girl Scout leader. We have two guinea pigs, one Dalmatian, one cockatiel, and one quarter-horse to keep us busy. I had a career as a marketing writer before I became a full-time mom and volunteer, but I still write all the time as well as participate in a monthly book club. I stay active and have Jazzercized for over 25 years on a regular basis. I also am trying to do some yoga now and ride horses for fun. I have loved getting involved in the RecipeZaar games and learning how to post the photos. I am currently playing on the Zaar World Tour and it is lots of fun! Have been a sports fan since childhood and definitely have enjoyed getting to know about hockey since we have a very successful NHL franchise in our area: Go Sharks! <img src="http://static.flickr.com/1310/902139984_71e1ab56a5.jpg" width="399" height="270"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/final-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/bumbag5.gif?t=1211686551"> <img src="http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/zaargroupie.gif" width="300" height="220"> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/food%20and%20swaps/400035_d7f1b969-m3_1217872626.png" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/de.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/My-3-Chefs%20banners/my3chefs2008Small.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/123hitwonders.jpg" width="399" height="150"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/holiday-tag2-copy.gif" width="399" height="140"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"width="290" height="140"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/fg.jpg" border="0" alt="F and G Swap">