Puerco Perdigado Con Chile Rojo (Braised Pork With Red Chile Sau
This can be served in a burrito or with rice and beans. The meat comes out very tender in a mild sauce. Don't forget the avocado and a cold Mexican Beer. Prep time is an estimate.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 3 lbs lean boneless pork butt or 3 lbs pork shoulder
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 -6 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- pumpkin seeds, shelled
- avocado, peeled pitted and sliced
- tomatoes, cut into wedges
- sour cream
- lime, cut into wedges
- Trim and discard fat from meat and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a wide frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat; add meat a few pieces at a time and cook until lightly brown. Push to sides of pan.
- Add onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano; cook until onion is limp.
- Stir in water, sugar, salt, and tomato paste; simmer, covered, until pork is fork tender (about 1 hour).
- Skim off fat and discard.
- Stir in cream and cook, stirring, until mixture boils.
- Turn into a serving dish and garnish with pumpkin seeds.
- To serve, fill warm tortillas with meat and garnish with avocado, tomato, and sour cream. Offer lime to squeeze over servings.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made this to cure the craving for rich Mexican food. It wasn't too spicy, as our 4, 7 and 8 year old loved it. But it had a very deep, rich flavor. Was great with white rice, tortillas and home made salsa Verde. My brother is getting into town tonight, and where he lives now doesn't have the best Mexican food, so Ill be making it again for him this evening. <br/><br/>I did not have any tomato pasted, so I subbed in 2 times as much tomato sauce. Worked like a charm!
We really enjoyed this recipe. The meat was very tender. I made some fresh home made corn tortillas and before I knew it, my husband and daughter were in the kitchen over the pan and eating it right out of the pan with warm tortillas! I didn't even bother to set the table for dinner! Thanks so much for this recipe. This is exactly the type of food we like!