Ptacky- Czech Rolled Beef
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From the book Czech and Slovak Touches. By John Kubasta, President of the Cleveland District Alliance of Czechoslovak Catholics, Cleveland, Ohio NOTE: Guessing on Prep time and serving.
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 lbs round steaks, cut 1/2-inch thick
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 2 1⁄2 large dill pickles
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3 -4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- Pound beef well to make thin 5" x 5" pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread with mustard.
- Place 1 slice bacon, halved and 1/4 pickle, cut lengthwise, on each slice.
- Slice and saute 1 onion till transparent.
- Place one slice on each beef slice.
- Roll the beef "sandwich" around the pickle.
- Secure with toothpick.
- Dice remaining onion and brown in shortening.
- Place in roasting pan with meat rolls and several cups of broth made from beef bouillon cubes.
- Cover and roast for 1 1/2 hours in a 350 degree oven.
- Baste every 15 minutes with additional broth.
- Remove meat rolls.
- Make gravy by adding flour and sour cream to roaster on stove top.
- Mix and boil. (Mixture will not curdle.)
- To serve, pour gravy over the beef rolls.
- Dumplings are a perfect accompaniment.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION