Provencal Salmon With Tomato Basil Sauce
photo by Zurie
- Ready In:
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh basil (to garnish)
- 6 (6 ounce) fillets fresh salmon
- Make the sauce several hours or the night before. In a non-reactive mixing bowl, stir together the chopped tomatoes, shallots, basil, lemon zest, olive oil, vinegar, chives, and tarragon. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and a little cayenne. Cover the bowl and leave at room temperature to marinate for several hours or overnight (if your kitchen is very hot, refrigerate.).
- About 1/2 hour before serving time, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with foil and lightly oil the foil with olive oil. When the oven is hot, switch it to its broiler function. Brush the salmon fillets with olive oil, season them with salt and pepper, and arrange them on a baking sheet. Place the salmon under the broiler about 2 inches from the flame and cook until done the top is very lightly browned and the flesh is still slightly pink in the center, 7 to 8 minutes. Meanwhile, taste the sauce and, if necessary, adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Spoon a generous amount of the sauce onto the middle of each of 6 heated serving plates. Place the salmon fillets on top of the sauce. Top each fillet with a basil sprig. Serve immediately, passing any remaining sauce separately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
MADE FOR ZWT4. This was a nice, restaurant-type recipe. Being in South Africa I do not have easy access to fresh salmon, a fish not found round our shores. The imported salmon is very expensive, and the frozen salmon not really worth the trouble. No matter, I used cob, a local ocean fish which I love. The sauce was fine, but not outstanding. To my taste the flavour of tarragon did not fit in here. I also warmed the sauce -- in the recipe it seems as if the plates and fish are warm but the sauce is cold -- unless one can serve this from oven to table it might work, but I know my husband will not like a cold sauce with hot fish! Anyway, we loved this! Thanks!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi, I'm Debbie and currently we live in North Carolina! I have been married to my Best Friend, Colin for 17 years. I'm currently a SAHM to 3 wonderful children, their ages are 15yrs, 11yrs and 7yrs old!! I'm hoping to go back to school to become a pastry chef! I changed my chef name recently, I was debee939701. I Love to Bake and go crazy at Christmas!! (What can I say it's my favorite time of the year!)My friends,neighbors and family don't complain though! I have a degree in photography and I have (according to my DH) way too many cookbooks! I'm addicted to this website! I check the new recipes out daily! Right now my favorite is Rachel Ray! <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/Other/tagforpage1.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/participation%20banners/coolmonday-particiation2.jpg" border="0" alt="Cookathon for Cool Monday (2)"> <img src="http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj240/marienixon_715/kittencaljpg.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> Thank you, Sweetslady! :) <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/TasteofYellowSTICKER.jpg"> <img src="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/lauralie41/cookbookswapspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> Thanks Susiehomemaker! I Loved Everything!!! <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/pt-shutterbug-banner-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/totmtaggame-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">