Prawn (Shrimp) Pakoras
Great nibbles with a glass of champagne
- Ready In:
- 1 kg medium raw prawns, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 75 g besan flour (chick pea flour)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Pulse prawns in food processor-they need to just come together not turn into a paste!
- Combine the prawns and remaining ingredients except the oil.
- Using a tablespoon, measure out approximately 30 balls.
- Using damp hands, roll each portion into a ball; place on a plate, cover with cling film until ready to use.
- Heat the oil in a wok or heavy based frypan.
- Fry 6-8 balls at a time until golden brown all over.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot with tomato and mint chutney.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a great recipe but I no longer deep fry any thing in oil. I used my Air Fryer for this recipe. I preheated it for 5 minutes at 400 degrees F. Then placed the shimp balls on a rack inside the Air Fryer and sprayed them lightly with an Olive Oil spray. I cooked them for 6 minutes at 400 degrees F. Open the door and turned them over, sprayed the other side and cooked them for another 4 - 6 minutes. They were delicious and not dripping in oil.Reply
We used to eat these in India on rainy evenings. . . something all my cousins and I always looked forward to. But I didn't know how to make them. Thanks for the recipe. It tasted just like my mothers. Only I would give it more than just one pulse in the food processor. But that did not change the taste!Reply
see 1 more