- Ready In:
24 sandwich cookies
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup ground pecans (toast lightly before grinding)
- dulce de leche (store-bought or homemade)
- In a stand mixer cream the butter, sugar, and shortening until fluffy.
- Add egg (at room temperature) and beat until mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in the vanilla.
- Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, salt, and baking soda. Add to butter and sugar mixture, and mix on low speed until the flour is just incorporated.
- Add the ground nuts and mix 20 seconds more.
- Roll the dough into two cylinders, about 1.5 inches in diameter. Wrap well with saran wrap and chill until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Slice off 1/8" -1/4" inch thick rounds of dough, and place on a cookie sheet. Brush cookies slightly with water (using damp pastry brush), and sprinkle tops of cookies with sugar.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, watching closely, until cookies start to brown slightly. Remove from oven and cool cookies completely on a rack.
- Spread dulce de leche on a the bottom of a cookie and sandwich another cookie to the first, with the sugared sides of the cookies facing out.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!