Poulet Au Verjus - Chicken With Verjus
photo by Maito
- Ready In:
- 1 whole chicken, cut in pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup verjus (To make the verjus, 3 bunches green grapes, firm and not quite ripe)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
First, make verjus:
- Pull the grapes away from their stems, then press them, extracting as much of the juice as possible. Filter this juice through muslin, a jelly bag, or use coffee filter paper. Bottle this and sterilize it, or freeze some in ice cube trays. Or use it up within the next few days.
- Brown the chicken cut in pieces for a good ten minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook briefly.
- Pour in a large glass of verjus, and some chicken stock made with 1/2 cube 1/2 cup of hot water.
- Add the chopped parsley.
- Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, partially covered until towards the end, when you take the cover off.
- Use more verjus, if you want. It is a pleasant, fruity taste with a tart, vinegary quality.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or Sarlat Potatoes, recipe#209855, fresh green beans, or other summer fare.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><br /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/Switzerland-FFF4.gif alt= /> <br /><a href=http://photobucket.com target=_blank> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /> <br /></a><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/Zaar%20Food%20Photos/SassyBanner.jpg alt=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/Zaar%20Food%20Photos/SassyBanner.jpg /></p>