Potatoes That Taste Better Than the Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 lbs whole chickens, wings removed
- coarse salt
- pepper, freshly ground
- 1 chicken liver
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- fleur de sel, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Butter a medium roasting pan with 3 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons oil.
- Place potatoes in a single layer in roasting pan.
- Season chicken inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Place liver, rosemary, thyme, and garlic inside cavity of chicken.
- Using kitchen twine, tie legs together to enclose.
- Rub chicken with remaining 3 tablespoons each of butter and oil.
- Place chicken on top of potatoes on one of its sides.
- Transfer roasting pan to oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Turn chicken onto its other side and continue roasting 20 minutes more.
- Turn chicken, breast side up, and add 2 tablespoons water to pan.
- Continue roasting until juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 10 to 20 minutes more.
- Carve chicken in roasting pan allowing the juices to combine with the potatoes.
- Serve from the roasting pan, spooning pan juices over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with fleur de sel.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm an opera singer and teacher living in Miami, FL. My mom taught me how to cook, and I absolutely love trying new flavors and techniques.