Potato, Tomato and Onion Gratin
- Ready In:
- 4 large tomatoes (about 2 1/4 lbs.)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced (about 2 lbs.)
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups white breadcrumbs, fresh
- Bring pot of water to boil. Add tomatoes and blanch 10 seconds. Drain tomatoes. Peel, core and slice tomatoes. (Can be made 6 hours ahead; cover and chill).
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Arrange half the potatoes in a shallow baking dish (15 cup capacity). Season with salt and pepper. Top with half the onions and half the tomatoes. Sprinkle with half the garlic and half the thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat layering with remaining potatoes, onions, tomatoes, garlic and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Pour wine and olive oil over. Bake until potatoes are tender and almost all the liquid evaporates, about 90 minutes.
- Melt butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs and saute until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over gratin. Cool 10 minutes and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!