Potato Gratin Lasagna
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs roma tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks (about 10 tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- 6 dried lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 4 russet potatoes, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°; spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Saute the onions in a skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil until just soft.
- Stir in the garlic, and cook another minute until just aromatic.
- Add the tomatoes, rosemary, oregano, and basil.
- Continue to cook until all moisture has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
- *Toasting the bread crumbs--in a nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter; add the bread crumbs and combine, stirring to coat evenly while cooking; cook until golden brown and aromatic, about 5 minutes; remove from heat and let cool.
- To assemble--Layer 1/2 of the lasagna noodles in the prepared casserole dish; top with half of the sliced potatoes, and season with salt and pepper.
- Top the potatoes with half of the tomato mixture, and sprinkle with half the cheeses.
- Repeat layering, ending with cheese; sprinkle evenly with toasted bread crumbs.
- Cover the gratin with foil and bake for 30 minutes; remove the foil and bake 15-20 minutes to brown the cheese.
- Let stand 5 minutes to set the cheese before slicing and serving.
- Cut in smaller portions and serve as a side dish with roasted chicken; or cut in larger portions to serve as a main meal.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!