Pot Roast Made With Beer for the Pressure Cooker
photo by Outta Here
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 lbs chuck roast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces beer
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth (or chicken)
- 1 large onion
- 6 carrots
- Heat oil in pressure cooker ( medium).
- Brown beef on both sides, then remove and set aside.
- Add to same pan: small amount of beer and loosen/stir up bits.
- Add flour and tomato paste to pan and cook over medium for one minute.
- Place the meat and everything else ( and the rest of the beer ) in the pan.
- Close this lid and cook on high pressure for about 1 hour.
- Let pressure come down naturally.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Questions & Replies
Pure comfort food. So good on a cold, wet (typical) Pacific NW day. And so quick in the pressure cooker. I made 2 changes. I added some whole mushrooms with the onion and carrots, and didn't use the flour until after the cooking, and then mixed it with some water and thickened the juices while meat rested on platter. Served with mashed potatoes. This one is a keeper!
I rarely review recipes but this is really stellar roast! I chose this as my first recipe to cook in my new pressure cooker. The flavor was delicious, not your run of the mill roast with brown gravy, but not too out there in flavor profile either. Classic comfort food. The recipe had just the right hint of tomato in the sauce, the mustard wasn't too strong, and it cooked to tender perfection in an hour.<br/><br/>I used Guinness as the beer, and I only used one tbsp of olive oil as my roast was a bit fatty. I also added more salt in the end to suit my taste. Thank you very much for the wonderful recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello fellow cooks-I am on OBGYN doctor and I am new to this website. . I love RecipeZaar since there are so many, easy, delicious, tested recipes. Between myself and my boyfriend, we have 5 children so there is always someone hungry-the family is so happy about the new, freshly cooked foods that have been gracing our table as of late. Gardening- here in south florida we have lots of tropical fruit trees - is another hobby that I enjoy. We love scuba diving too. Recently, I did a tandem parachute jump.