MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Possums are an introduced species that are decimating NZ's forests and the beautiful unique birdlife. There is no such thing as a good possum in this beautiful land. Times are guesses.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 30mins
- 1 possum
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- clarified butter
- olive oil (enough to brown meat without becoming dry)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- flat or field mushroom, sliced (big meaty ones)
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (a mix of rosemary, thyme, marjoram, dill and parsley)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 cup dark beer, eg black mac,monteiths
- 1 cup brown possum stock
- 1 tablespoon marsala
- Skin and bone the possum (use only the best meat for the casserole, ie: the strip loins and hind quarters, cubed).
- Reserve the carcass and trimmings for stock.
- In a heavy pan, heat the clarified butter and oil.
- Sauté onion and garlic.
- When onion is clear, remove to casserole.
- Dust the cubed possum with flour and brown in batches.
- Add to casserole.
- Melt a little more clarified butter and sauté bacon and mushrooms.
- Remove to casserole De-glaze pan as necessary with red wine- add this to casserole together with herbs, ground pepper, tomato purée, beer and marsala.
- Stir, cover and cook in slow oven for 2-3 hours, adding more possum stock if necessary.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION