Portuguese Style Redskin Potato Salad With Tomatoes and Garlic
The Portuguese love potatoes as much as, if not more than others. This salad makes good use of them, and cooks using the classic Portuguese "tomada", sauce, which is made up of olive oil, tomatoes, and garlic. Recipe by Elisabeth Rosen.
- Ready In:
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 4 -5 medium red potatoes (don't need to peel)
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro leaf
- In a skillet, saute the onion, and garlic until onion is translucent, 4-5 minutes or so.
- Stir in the tomatoes, followed by the potatoes, along with the salt and pepper (amounts are really to suit your taste).
- Cover, turn heat to low, for about 15 minutes, or as soon as the potatoes become tender.
- Uncover, raise heat to medium, and cook down the sauce until thickened, and mostly cooked away.
- Remove from heat, check the salt again, and add the cilantro and vinegar.
- Serve at room temperature.