Portuguese-Style Pork Chops (or chicken)
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 10mins
- 6 tablespoons portuguese-style red pepper paste (see recipe I posted)
- 6 (4 ounce) boneless pork chops, trimmed
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Prepare Portuguese-Style Paste (see recipe I posted).
- Place pork chops in a shallow glass dish and rub pepper paste over both sides.
- Pour wine over the chops.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least six hours or overnight, turning once or twice.
- Drain marinade into a small saucepan.
- Add oil and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until slighly thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in pepper and salt.
- Measure out 1/4 cup sauce for basting.
- Keep remainder warm.
- Meanwhile, heat grill to medium-high.
- Lightly oil grill rack.
- Place the chops on the grill.
- Cook, basting occasionally with pepper sauce, until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per side for 1/2 inch thick chops.
- Serve immediately, passing remaining pepper sauce separately.
- Variation: Substitute boneless, skinless chicken breasts or skinned bone-in chicken for pork chops.
- Allow 4-6 minutes per side for boneless breasts, 20 to 30 minutes for bone-in pieces.
- Serves 6.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
A great summer dish! We used the chicken breasts & marinated for 24 hours. Because they were skinless I was worried about drying out. but we backed them off the direct fire to an iron griddle and left them to cook for 30 minutes. Everyone raved about the taste! Way to go Bev. I wouldn't change this recipe at all.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Food.com when the site was RecipeZaar, April 24, 2001. This site has been a favorite with me for many years now with its unique features and especially for the many, many dear friends I have met here. If you are a new visitor, I hope you will stop for a while and check us out. I hope you will find it as special as I have.