Portuguese-Style Baked Fish
photo by Rhiannon and Matt
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs fish fillets (cod, haddock or other white fish.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced (white part only)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned plum tomatoes (about 1 medium sized can)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, minced
- In a skillet heat the olive oil. Add the onions, leeks, and garlic, and saute over medium heat till transparent (about 5 minutes).
- Add peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasonings. Cook for about 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a baking pan pour about 1/3 of the sauce.
- Put the fish fillets on top of the sauce. Top with the sliced green pepper.
- Pour the wine over this and then top with lemon slices.
- Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over all and then top with minced parsley.
- Bake this for about 25 minutes, or until the fish is done and the sauce is bubbly. Serve with pasta or potatoes. This is great!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very tasty. Since fish is braised in that flavorful liquid it won't dry out, even if you cook a bit too long so it's a nice choice for when you have company. You can make the tomato sauce way ahead of time and just throw in the oven when you want to eat. Be sure to evaporate most of the liquid when making the sauce and dry fish with paper towel. With 1 cup wine it tends to be a very liquid sauce. You could remove fish and reduce sauce on the stove top before serving. Also good with rice.