Portuguese Squash Soup
photo by Chef Gorete
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into thick slices
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 900 ml chicken broth (sodium reduced)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- cold water
- To a large pot add all of the vegetables, spices, oil and broth. Add enough cold water to the pot to just cover the vegetables. Simmer the soup until the vegetables are tender. With a hand blender, puree the soup on low until creamy and lump free.
- Note: If you prefer a vegetarian version, simply substitute a vegetable broth or water.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was born in the Azores in Portugal, but have lived in Canada for the majority of my life. Baking is my passion, so I'm always looking for some easy and great tasting recipes....this site is perfect for it.