Portuguese Calde Verde Soup
photo by Chef Gorete
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large spicy chorizo sausage
- 6 cups cold water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 6 large kale leaves or 4 -6 cups of shredded kale
- Remove the hard stalk from the kale and set aside. Cut the leaves lengthwise into several strips. Stack the strips then cut into very thin strips.
- In a large deep pot, add the whole sausage, potatoes, kale stalks, onion, garlic, water, broth, oil and seasonings. Cook on medium heat until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the sausage from the broth and cut into thin slices then set aside. Remove the kale stocks, then discard.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth and lump free.
- Add the kale and sausage slices to the soup, and cook on medium until the kale is tender. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was born in the Azores in Portugal, but have lived in Canada for the majority of my life. Baking is my passion, so I'm always looking for some easy and great tasting recipes....this site is perfect for it.