Portugese Spikes of Corn Cookies (Espigas De Milho)
photo by Chef Gorete
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 1⁄4 cups yellow corn flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 lb butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 lb lard, room temperature
- 1 lemon rind
- milk (if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat all of the ingredients together except for the two flours. When well beaten, add all of the flour and mix well until blended. Dough should be firm enough to hold its shape when pressed. (Adjust firmness by adding either milk or flour, a little at a time).
- Using a cookie press with a star tip, pipe a rope of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Cut the rope into 5 to 6” lengths, and then shape into an S. (Alternatively, you can make simple drop cookies).
- Bake at 350 F until done, about 15 – 17 minutes and cookies have light colour. Once all of the cookies are baked, pile the cookies on one cookie sheet and return to a 200 F oven for 30-45 minutes to add crispiness and colour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before storing them in an air tight container.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was born in the Azores in Portugal, but have lived in Canada for the majority of my life. Baking is my passion, so I'm always looking for some easy and great tasting recipes....this site is perfect for it.