Portobello Mushroom Stew
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper, freshly cracked
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb baby portabella mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, garlic, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time and shake to coat.
- In a stock pot, heat oil. Add onion and celery and cook down until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add beef to pot in batches and brown. Remove beef and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to pot; saute until tender. Return beef to pot.
- Add the wine, broth, thyme and rosemary, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Now add the red pepper flakes at this point.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until beef is tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into stew.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil, stirring for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Join The Conversation
The portion size was spot on and as I was only serving 3 I ended up with a portion to freeze for a later date. I used a mix of baby portabella mushrooms and white button mushrooms as that was what I had on hand but did use 2 small brown onions (sliced one fine and the other in wedges) and a1 large rib of celery and made as directed but found I really did not need to use the cornstarch/cornflour water mix to thicken it was fantastic as it was - I cooked for the full 3 hours. Thank you Chef Bugsy Mate for a fantastic recipe that the DM, DS and I thoroughly enjoyed, made for Aussie/Kiwi recipe swap #65 June 2012.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am blessed with a wonderful dh and four fantastic, crazy children. I am a stay at home mom who works from son up till son down. My favorite cookbook is not one that I cook with very often, it actually sits on top of my pantry propped up in an old basket. The cookbook was given to my grandmother just prior to her marriage to my grandfather and it has the family prayer and some recipes that my great-grandmother penned in her own hand inside. It is called All About Home Baking. <a href="http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/?action=view¤t=daringdingos.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/daringdingos.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/Swap14.JPG"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/GrassTree.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/Erica.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/BottleBrush.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/Darwinia.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/babygrey-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/Correa.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/picNW72Oj-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/picCdyPjI-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/pic9ysNPn-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/picbtGrUW-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/pictSF7ey-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/my3chefsnov2008.jpg"> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group10peppers.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap2/group04cherry.jpg> <img src="http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n191/bb_babe626/Recipes/makemyrecipebannnner.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif">