Pork Tenderloin With Lentils and Mustard Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup french le puy lentils, picked over (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- In a small skillet, heat 1/3 cup of the extra-virgin olive oil.
- Add the shallots and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried shallots to paper towels to drain; reserve the shallot oil.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the lentils with 2 3/4 cups of the chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the bay leaf and thyme, cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and return them to the saucepan; discard the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley and the reserved shallot oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until almost smoking.
- Flatten each piece of pork tenderloin slightly with the palm of your hand and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, if necessary, add the flattened pork to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until well browned and just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the pork to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the wine to the skillet and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the chicken stock, the mustard and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Boil, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the remaining 1/4 cup of chicken stock into the lentils and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat.
- Spread the lentils on a platter, arrange the pork on top and drizzle with the mustard sauce. Garnish with the crisp shallots and serve at once.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My rating system: (I don't like giving bad reviews, so if I don't like it, I'll just not review it.) <br /><br />5 Stars OMG, this is one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten! I can't stop eating it, and I've eaten myself into a food coma. <br /><br />4 Stars The recipe is wonderful as is. I can't think of a single improvement and I will most likely make it again. <br /><br />3 Stars This needed a little *something*something*. I might make it again, but will add my own improvements if I do. <br /><br />I love to eat! And I love to cook. I tend to take over the kitchen when I get in there. Even the dog knows the command get outta my kitchen! LOL. Cooking for other people and trying new recipes or foods is FUN! I have a small (but growing quickly!!) cookbook collection and one of my favorite things to do is to read recipes and plan meals. Rachael Ray, Horn of the Moon and Moosewood are favorites of mine. <br /><br />We spend a lot of time outdoors camping, hiking and backpacking. Yup. I cook in the woods too! I've made deals with my hiking buddies... If they carry in my food, I'll cook for them. I recently published a backpacking cookbook. Check out the website: http://www.onepanwonders.com <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/AnimatedPRD.gif alt= /> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif alt= /></p>