Pork Rib Roast With Apple and Herb Butter Gravy
This is an easy one to make in a crock pot. The roast braises slowly, along with mushrooms, fennel, onions, and apples in apple cider. When it's fall-off-the-bone done, add some butter for a delicious, sweet and savoury gravy. Try to select a roast with 4 or 5 bones, and a good fat cap.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 15mins
- 4 lbs center cut pork rib roast
- 2 Red Delicious apples
- 2 sweet onions
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water (for corn starch slurry)
- Rub the roast on all sides with salt and pepper and sear in light olive oil in a skillet on all sides.
- While the meat is searing, quarter the onions and mushrooms. Core the fennel, then cut into eigths. Place most of the onions, fennel, and mushrooms in a layer on the bottom of the crock pot, reserving some to spread around the sides of the roast.
- Peel and core the apples. Set aside.
- After the roast is seared, nestle it into the veggies in the crock pot - fat side up, then spread the rest of the veg around the roast along with the apples.
- Deglaze the skillet with apple cider, then add the liquid to the crock pot.
- Cover, and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- When the roast is fork tender, carefully remove it to a cutting board and tent with foil to rest.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the veggies to a serving bowl. I like to spread them around a mound of mashed potatoes.
- Pour the remaining liquid into a deep skillet over high heat, bring to a boil and reduce by at least a third.
- Lower the heat to medium; add the butter in chunks, stirring into the sauce as it melts.Finally, stir in corn starch slurry to thicken the gravy.