Pork, Beef or Chicken Chop Suey
photo by SkyGlitter
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 2 cups cooked beef or 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water (can use chicken broth also, make certain that it is cold or it will not mix with the cornstarch)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced (can use green)
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 cups canned mushroom slices, well drained
- salt and pepper (I just use one or two cans for this)
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- green onion, finely chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl combine soy sauce, corn syrup (or brown sugar) and mix together with the cooked meat; let stand for 30 minutes.
- Mix/whisk the cornstarch with cold water (or COLD chicken broth) and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet until hot.
- Add in onions slices; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add in garlic and sliced vegetables; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add in the meat mixture; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add in the cornstarch mixture; stir for 2 minutes.
- Add in the bean sprouts and cook, stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, and
- Add in more soy sauce if desired.
- Transfer to a large bowl sprinkle with chopped green onions if desired.
- Serve with rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I just love this yummy recipe! It's very versatile, quick and easy to prepare. I like it best with chicken - I wrap up 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts airtight in foil and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, let cool then slice into bite size pieces. I've found no difference in taste if using water or chicken broth and with fresh (cooked first) or canned mushrooms. I did add about 2 cups cooked egg noodles at the end with the bean sprouts - just my personal preference :) and don't forget the chopped green onion (although I did for the picture) to top it off - it looks and tastes great! Thanks Kittencal, I've been looking for this recipe for a long time!
see 2 more reviews