Poor Man's Gumbo
- Ready In:
- 12 slices bacon (about 1/2 lb)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (12 ounce) can tuna, solid white packed in water
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon file powder, like Zatarain's (I just found a box of gumbo mix and used its flavoring because I couldn't find what she was describi)
- 1 1⁄4 cups rice, cooked
- In a large heavy skillet, cook the bacon over mid heat until crisp.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain off all but 1/4 c bacon fat and return the skillet to the heat.
- Add celery and onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tuna & liquid, tomato paste, jalapeño and 1 c water.
- Simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Whisk in the file powder, remove from heat.
- Serve gumbo over rice and crumble bacon on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!