Polynesian Inspired Vegetarian Pilau
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 16 ounces black-eyed peas, drained
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 4 cups celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, reserve 2Tbl . juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- In a large pan, saute peanuts in 1 Tbl. butter until toasty. Take out the peanuts and set them aside.
- To the butter in the pan add the grated ginger, the onion, along with another 1 Tbl. butter.Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the remaining butter, the chopped celery, carrot, and the diced green pepper. Cook until slightly tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the rice. Bring just to a boil and then take off the heat.
- Stir in the cooked rice. Sprinkle toasted peanuts on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have had some really cool and chilly weather here in Saskatchewan in July - making this dish a great addition to the evening meal a few weeks back. Used Susan Lee's recipe#56242 which makes for perfect brown rice each and every time. Other than not having green peas on hand I made as posted - loved this combination of ingredients used in this Pilau.(we are very fond of brown rice making this a real find) A keeper for sure!