Poetical Egg Salad Sandwiches
This is another recipe from the Anne of Green Gables Cookbook. The author is Kate Macdonald who is L.M Montgomery's granddaughter. You can read about these sandwiches in Anne of Avonlea chapter 18.
- Ready In:
- 4 eggs
- 1 stalk celery
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- ground pepper, pinch
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons dried mint or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 8 slices bread, fresh
- In small saucepan cover the eggs with cold water - at least 1 inch above the eggs. Place the saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and cover it. Let the eggs stand in the hot water for 25 minutes. Uncover the saucepan and put it under cold running water for 10 minutes to cool the eggs.
- Meanwhile wash the celery stalk under cold running water. Chop it into tiny pieces on the cutting board.
- Peel the eggs. Add them with the chopped celery to the small mixing bowl and mash them together with the fork.
- Stir the mayonnaise, salt, and pepper into the egg mixture. Set the egg salad in the refridgerator.
- Mix the softened butter with the dried mint or parsley in the small bowl. Set aside.
- Cut each slice of bread with a large cookie cutter. Save the bread scraps in a little plastic bag for bread crumbs.
- Butter one side of each bread shape with the minted butter. On half of the bread shapes spread the egg salad. Place the other half of the bread shapes on top. Makes 4 poetical sandwiches.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Fantastic! I made these poetical egg salad tea sandwiches today for luncheon, and they were enjoyed immensely. Made the butter with fresh mint from my herb garden, which added a very lovely accent to these delectable sammies. Highly recommended! I would like to add that I very much enjoyed looking through your lovely Anne of Green Gables Cookbook, as I too am an Anne of Green Gables fan! Made for the Magic of Herbs Event in the Photos Forum. Thank you, Psalm!Reply
see 2 more