Poblano Chicken Bundles
photo by teresas
- Ready In:
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz. each)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 ounces reduced-fat monterey jack cheese (use 4 cheese sticks if available)
- 1 large poblano pepper, cut into 12 strips (2 1/2 inch strips)
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup pico de gallo (or salsa) (optional)
- fresh cilantro (to garnish)
- Place each chicken breast half between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound chicken until 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap.
- Divide the 2 tablespoons cilantro evenly among the chicken pieces. Place a cheese stick and three poblano strips across the center of each chicken piece. Fold in sides; roll up from bottoms and secure with wooden toothpicks.
- In a shallow dish combine cornmeal, chili powder, and salt. In another shallow dish combine egg white and the water. Dip chicken bundles into egg white mixture and then into cornmeal mixture, turning to coat.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken bundles, seam side down. Cook about 10 minutes or until browned on all sides, turning occasionaly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes more or until no longer pink turning once. If desired, serve with pico de gallo and sprinkle with additional cilantro.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!