Poached Red Pear Zinfandel
Diabetic Exchange 1 Carbohydrates, 1 Fruit, 1 Fat
- Ready In:
- 4 large ripe red pears (or other pear variety)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white zinfandel wine or 1 1/2 cups rose wine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons honey
- fresh mint leaves
- Core pears from bottom, leaving stem intact.
- Using a paring knife, peel a spiral channel from tip to bottom of fruit, if desired.
- Slice the very bottom off pears to allow them to stand upright.
- Stand pears up in the bottom of a large saucepan then add wine and vanilla.
- Bring mixture just to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer pears, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until pears are just tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer pears to four dessert dishes.
- Add sugar to liquid in pan and bring to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 12 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 2/3 cup and is the consistency of a thin sauce.
- Spoon sauce over pears.
- Drizzle honey on top.
- Serve warm or chilled.
- Garnish sauce on each plate with fresh mint leaves, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Yum! The white zin reduced down to a beautiful pink that was as pretty as it was tasty. I received some nice dark red pears in our CSA box that upon poaching turned an almost chocolate color, did not have any fresh mint for garnish so stuck a toasted almond sliver in the top to look kind of like a stem. Thanks for the post.Reply