Planked Stuffed Eggplant (Aubergine)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 large eggplant, washed and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups American cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon onion, grated
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 eggs, separated
- salt and pepper
- 4 small whole onions, cooked and buttered (for garnish)
- 2 tomatoes, halved and broiled (for garnish)
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (for garnish)
- parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Scrape out the centers of the eggplant halves, leaving 1/2 inch shells.
- Sprinkle shells with salt and invert them.
- Cook eggplant pulp until very tender in a small amount water, drain and mash.
- Melt butter, blend in flour and add milk gradually, stirring constantly until thick and smooth.
- Add mashed eggplant, cheese, crumbs, onion, ketchup and egg yolks; season to taste.
- Beat egg whites and fold into mixture; fill rinsed shells.
- Bake at 350F 1 1/4 hours until firm.
- Place hot filled shells on a large plank, surround with onions and tomatoes.
- Pipe hot seasoned mashed potatoes through a pastry bag for decorative border around rim.
- Replace in oven for ten minutes.
- Place broiled tomatoes and cooked onions decoratively around the eggplant and sprinkle with parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!