Pizza Sauce from Peter Reinhart
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup water, if needed only
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Empty can of tomatoes into mixing bowl and whisk, add all the ingredients, except water and salt and whisk to smooth sauce.
- Taste and adjust by adding enough water to make a slightly thick easily spreadable sauce. Adjust spices to taste. The sauce can be used immediately, but will thicken slightly as it sits.
- Store any leftover sauce in a container with a lid. This sauce will keep for up to 10 days in the refrigerator or 3 months in freezer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"