Pizza Fritta (Fried Pizza Dough)
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- pizza dough (your own or store bought)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- granulated sugar
- jelly (optional)
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Break off ~2" pieces of dough.
- Place in hot oil, cook until done (around 3-5 min and turning once).
- Place on paper towel and let drain (1 min).
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Cut open and place in a teaspoon of jelly (optional), or just eat them as is.
- Do not add sugar/jelly – let cool and just cut open place sauce/cheese/meat/whatever inside then bake in oven for ~3-5min (until done). It’s like having an extra good hot pocket LOL.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My mother was born in Italy and used to make this for our family and our friends. After cutting of a piece of the raised dough, Mom would stretch it out. A little practice may be required before you can stretch it without tearing it. This makes the dough cook better and raises it as it cooks. Try it, you will like it.
I had never thought of anything like this, but love pizza dough and when I saw this knew I had to try it. Followed the directions (minus the sugar) and when done, split and stuffed with Mozzarella cheese and then used heated pizza sauce for dipping. LOVED it, I'm thinking would even be good in small pieces for an appy with guest. Next plan on trying it with the sugar and cinnamon.
see 1 more reviews