Pioneer Woman's Coffee Cake
photo by Linda W.
- Ready In:
1 two layer cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two round baking pans.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Melt 2 sticks of butter in a pot over medium-low heat. While that’s melting, add 3 tablespoons instant coffee to 1 cup boiling water. Set aside.
- Once butter has melted, add coffee mixture to the butter in the pot. Let it come to a boil for about ten seconds, then turn off the heat. Set aside for just a minute.
- In a separate bowl, add buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the butter/coffee mixture into the flour mixture. Stir the mixture together gently. The purpose here isn’t to mix it together perfectly, but to cool down the heat before adding the egg mixture.
- Add in the egg mixture and stir gently until well combined. Then pour into pans. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes or until set.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Combine all icing ingredients, then ice the cake. Chill for an hour before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this for my other half to share at work & I have to rely on their wonderful comments in rating this recipe, since I usually have no interest in tasting anything that even remotely includes coffee! And, apparently those silly people at his work loved it, for some reason or other, hence the 5 stars! One thing you should know, however, it that the caramel frosting you mention in the intro here, is actually recipe #230136! [Made & reviewed during this Spring's Pick A Chef event]